Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Chores

UPDATE! It seems the little bit below about Frank's vouchers have stirred up a bit of kerfuffle over at BOR. The comments have gotten a little hot. Check it out.


Well, we are starting to get going. Treasurer Terry is away, so we cannot get those sig cards signed at the bank, but we got all the special numbers and the forms and such filled out. This part of the campaign is not fun, much. What has been so good, though, is that some of the most inspiring folks have let us know they support Larry's campaign. Larry sent out an email notifying the Pct3 folks about a meeting, and I picked up the phone a few days later to hear a musical voice ask for directions. This beautiful voice, that sounded like cane syrup set to music belongs to a lady who came to a Pct3 meeting right after having a chemotherapy treatment! Then I started thinking about all those voters during the general election last year in Ohio who stood in the sleet for 9 hours, some of them with their kids in tow, to vote Democratic. I realized that there are plenty of gallant Dems to whom we owe this race.

So, when I finally met the embodiment of that musical voice, I met an absolutely gorgeous woman, dressed to the nines, flawlessly made up with a huge smile on her face that reflected her warmth and joy in living. I realized I could wear panty hose now and then during the campaign, I could smile even when I am worried about the leaky plumbing, my grandkids grades, and that ominous knock in the truck's engine, if she could come to a little political meeting to take back Texas from the likes of Mr. Corte.

Speaking of whom, our daughter asked me why he introduced a bill to give, specifically, $6,000.00 a year in school vouchers. She wondered where that specific amount came from, since it is generally more than our local districts spend per child anyway. I didn't know why, so she set out to find out where that specific amount came from. Why $6,000.00? Why not $7.000.00? Why not $4,368.00? Well, she called last night at about 10 PM with an answer. Evidently, Mr. Corte used an amount fairly familiar to him - the tuition, plus $100.00 (for uniforms?) at his own kids' school matches that proposed amount.

I, myself, was privately educated in parochial schools back in the '50's and '60's. Believe it or not, even back then, special tax breaks were beeing proposed in California where I was raised, to help parents whose kids went to private schools. My dad, although a staunch Irish Catholic, was against that. He said to me when I asked him why, "It is our choice, we pay for that choice. If we took money from the state, it would be taking money away from kids whose parents don't have a choice." My mother disagreed with him, but he was firm in his view. He was a product of public schools himself, and supported them, even though his own kids went to parochial schools. Why don't we think about the common good anymore, like my dad did?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home